January 25, 2019 - January 28, 2019, All Day
Every year our 10th-12th graders are invited to join Rabbi Joseph and Ben Sandler in Washington DC for a long weekend of learning to find our voices, lobbying our government officials and making a difference!
Congregation Beth Israel has a long history of attending this social justice seminar with our teens. We were the first West Coast congregation to sign-up almost 30 years ago! Since that time, we have traveled to Washington, DC to join hundreds of teens from congregations around the country to put our Jewish values into practice in our Nation’s Capital. We spend the weekend celebrating shabbat, learning about social justice issues from a Jewish perspective, and exploring DC. On Monday, our students spend the day on Capitol Hill, meeting with our elected officials and lobbying them on important issues. It’s a transformative experience. And, new this year, we will be opening the trip to returning 11th and 12th grade students.
Each student must have a parent/guardian register them for L’Taken in the CampMinder registration system. Before you begin registering your student, make sure you know:
– The congregation or group you are traveling with: Congregation Beth Israel
– Date of your congregation’s L’Taken: January 24th – 28th we leave on Thursday morning and return Monday evening.
– Your congressional district: That can be found here
– You must complete the registration process in one session. It should take approximately 15 minutes to complete. You will not be able to save and restart an online application later.
This registration will ask for participant information about your child, health and safety information, and parent/guardian information. Information that is submitted will be shared with your congregation/group’s chaperones and contacts. Payment will not be collected when you register, all payment will be handled by your congregation.
L’Taken registration and a $500 trip deposit are due by November 23rd, 2018. The total cost of the trip ($1200) will be due on December 14th. The total price of the trip includes:
– Ground transportation
– Flights to and from the conference
Contact Ben with questions.